Pages

Friday 12 December 2014

Considering Cards - 1. The Tree and the Church

It's that time of year.

When so many people are lonely we are so privileged to have friends and family.  Most of all we are privileged to be part of the people of God where there can be feelings of loneliness but the loneliest Christian is streets ahead of their saddest secular counterparts, especially in old age.  Little breaks my heart more than seeing lonely elderly unbelievers living out painful, pointless years toward a lost eternity.
 
In this context we are really grateful for every Christmas Card we receive and for what it means in friendship.  Thanks!
 
Some readers of this blog will know that I do, however, like to give my Christmas card pictures a second look.  This year I'm sharing some of my second looks with my blog.  If it's your card, don't worry - you will not be identified and we were really glad to receive it whatever I say on here!
 
Exhibit 1:
Presumably this picture comes from a Christmas Tree producer or their decoration-making cousins.  There is a church so as to nod at the religious meaning of Christmas but the church is grey and distant.  There is snow (I love snow!) but whereas it has obliterated the church and kept the people indoors the tree seems mystically unaffected.
 
Well, that's a secular Christmas for you.  Trees starring in front of churches and people.
 
Except that this card is published by . . .
 
. . . The Salvation Army!

No comments: